New
Find
Notify
Tools

eyedrops part of the problem??
 Login/Join 
<AvileeG>
posted
Hello! I don't know how many people this will apply to, but it seemed an appropriate place to relate what I just discovered. I hope it helps some folks...
Since my LASIK surgery in August (and previously, when I wore contacts), I often had trouble with feeling like I had a small hair or eyelash stuck in my eye -- all day long. This usually seemed to be around the inside corner of my right eye, where I've got a small pinguecula (a little corneal growth, from all I can figure out). I generally put it down to dry eyes and poured in some more eyedrops (nearly constantly when I was wearing contacts, which was the main reason I got the surgery done). But the eyedrops never really helped all that much, sometimes I even felt a stinging sensation (around the pinguecula, mostly) when I put them in -- and the foreign body sensation would just get worse and worse until I went to sleep.
I had been using TheraTears, and then Genteal on the advice of my optometrist.So last week I decided, just on a lark, to try the "organic" eyedrops they sell at my local health food store. These things are actually homeopathic, which to me means that they are made of purified wter, a little sodium, and -- nothing!!(since the "active" ingredients have been diluted down so far as to basically nonexistent). And they seem to be working -- no more foreign body sensations, very little actual dry eyes (except for after a long dance rehearsal when I'm generally dehydrated). So all I can figure is that it was the commercial eyedrops that were my problem all along. I don't know what all those chemicals in their ingredient lists are, but I must be sensitive to one or more of them (and these are the ones without preservatives -- so-called for sensitive eyes!). So my feeling that sometimes, the more eyedrops I poured in the worse it got, seems to have been correct.
A nice side effect of this discovery (for me) is that I am now completely free of my dependence on those huge eye-care pharmaceutical companies, which probably do all kinds of animal testing (to keep bringing out "new and improved" products) and such...
As I said, I don't know how many people this might apply to, but it's worth a shot if you're having trouble with dry eyes, foreign-body sensations, or whatever. I think I would have done a lot better if I could have got plain purified water in an eyedropper right from the beginning.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
Similasan? 1 or 2?

Posts: 191 | Location: CA | Registered: Wed May 19 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
You will probably find that it applies to alot of people. I would use artificial tears much more if they actually helped. I find that the first drop feels good but I need another within 15 minutes & this continues until I go to sleep. The artificial tears seem to wash away whatever minimal tear film I have.
I also have a small pinguecula (lasik induced) on my driest eye. Please post the name of these drops I am always looking for something better.

Posts: 403 | Location: Canada | Registered: Sat February 12 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<AvileeG>
posted
The message from Gil guessed it -- I've been using Similasan eyedrops (both #1 and #2, either feels about the same). But since I've started using them exclusively, I've also found that I hardly need them at all anymore -- it seems like the irritation from the regular eyedrops was most of the reason I needed eyedrops to begin with...

Veteran
posted Hide Post
Avilee, Where do you purchase these drops? I am having a hard time finding them. I did go to their web site and they can be ordered, but I thought I'd try to find them in a store first.
Thanks,
Tracy

------------------

Posts: 137 | Location: chandler, Az 85226 | Registered: Tue October 03 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<AvileeG>
posted
I get them at my local health food store. However -- I think the point for me ws not so much that these specific eyedrops were particularly magical, as that they got me off of the chemical soup from the pharmaceutical giants. I think the only reason I was using eyedrops so much to begin with was the irritation from the eyedrops themselves. Now that I made the transition, I hardly need any at all. I think that plain purified water and a little bit of salt would have done just as well for me...

Veteran
posted Hide Post
I wanted to bring this subject "live" again. I have some of the Similasan#1 drops in my dry eye stash.

The active ingredients are Belladonna HUPS6x,Euphrasia HPUS6X,Mercurius sublimatus, HPUS6X

Inactive: SoluSept@ .001%, Natrium chloratum 0.9%, Purified water.

Have any newbies perhaps tried these drops, or the medical professionals have any comments? Phyllis

Posts: 4989 | Registered: Thu February 10 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
I have a lot on environmental allergies which have always caused eye irritation to some extent even before RS. My optometrist recommended Similisan to me and I have found them to be not at all irritating in contrast to many of the non-homeopathic ones.

------------------

Posts: 497 | Location: W. Pa. USA | Registered: Mon April 03 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
Similasan was recommended by my optometrist. I don't see much of a difference between Thera-tears and Similasan. I agree with the original post about these different types of tear drops. The chemicals tend to wash out one's natural tears. Water and a little sodium chloride is a better and cheaper way to go. Don't get me wrong, if they produced a $1000 bottle of perfect tears, I would be running to the nearest pharmacy. Nobody has produced a tear drop with the same properties as my tears.

Bob

Posts: 150 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania | Registered: Fri April 14 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
I have had dry eyes for over 15 years and have my had my lower ducts occluded. I never use artificial tears on a regular basis (except right after surgery) as I have found they DO dilute what few tears I produce and make my symptoms worse. If my eyes get extremely irritated and dry due to strong wind or excessive staring at the computer, I will then instill a few drops of Theratears, only. I will look for the drops mentioned above and give them a try as I am always looking for a better product. Thanks.

Leslie

Posts: 2310 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: Tue February 29 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on Similasan. I just ordered some from their web site. At this point I am willing to try just about anything that might provide a better solution than my current regiment.

I am going to San Diego for the better part of next week and as it is I just about need a second suitcase for all my "eye stuff".

If I cant find relief soon I may take to voodoo and Ouija boards.

Posts: 1682 | Registered: Sat October 21 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
I, too, noticed that once I start putting in tears, the need for them tends to increase. Because of your post today, I decided to be tear free for a day. While my eyes have been uncomfortable at times, my natural tear production at some point took over and helped me through the day. All in all, I could not tell a difference in comfort (ie., some stining either way) with or without tears. I will absolutely try the ones you have suggested tomorrow. It really seems that artificial tears influence natural production. Does anyone else experience this?

- Michael

Posts: 203 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: Thu December 28 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Droopyeyelid621>
posted
I am off and running to the nearest health food store tomorrow. I believe I have become allergic and sensitive to all the artificial drops(non-preservative ones).My doctor has put me on PATENOL which is an allergy drop for the eyes. I would also like to hear professional opinion on Similisan.

Veteran
posted Hide Post
I searched for the name and found this thread because this eyedrop is one of the ones in my reporter bag stash! I paid $10 for the bottle and only used it once, but am curious. Since I have so much stuff going on now, I don't want to add that at this time. I bought this at a local health food store some time ago without hearing anything about it. Just went there looking and that's what I picked. Maybe it's a miracle. The one we've all been waiting for.
Phyllis

[This message has been edited by pknapp (edited 01-14-2001).]

Veteran
posted Hide Post
Has anyone found great results using the Similasan drops? Since I'm using so much prescription stuff right now, I can't try them.

<Droopyeyelid621>
posted
Well this is a first! I only put 2 drops of Simiasan in my right eye all day. The other eye however is still tearing like crazy and now I am using Alrex.

Veteran
posted Hide Post
pknapp,

I just bought Similasan today, and will give it a few days before I let you know what I think of them. I can tell you that all eyedrops sting my eyes, with the exception of TheraTears and these. They felt more soothing, and stayed in the eyes better than TheraTears, which run down my face.

Posts: 136 | Registered: Fri August 31 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MaryLou>
posted
My results with Simiasan were not great. Tried them back when this thread was 1st posted - 2nd day of use, vision got blurrier than usual (like when drops are needed) and eye felt very weird, lack of smooth feeling when blinking. I got scared, went back to theratears which cleared vision as usual.
(for me theratears are the only drops that don't feel scratchy or 'gunky')

I have been taking Oregon Grape root, organic flax 1000 (2 to 3 x day) and fish oil concentrate 1000mg, and Alcon ICaps. (in addition to daily multi vite, lots of C, chelated magnesium) My eyes are FINALLY the most comfortable they have ever been since lasik. Not sure which is the "magic bullet"; I do know when I don't drink tons of water my eyes are noticeably worse. (also vision fluctuates more following lots of time spent on computer) FYI, I am 18 months post op, 14 months post relift - unsuccessful wrinkle removal.

Veteran
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what the preservative is in the Similasan drops? It's not one of the usual ones. I wonder if it has the same negative effects as the more common preservatives?

Posts: 403 | Location: Canada | Registered: Sat February 12 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
See: http://www.healthyrelief.com/us/arz/aug_bes.asp?menu=a

This gives a list of ingredients for the #1 and #2 types of drops in a 10ml bottle and unit-of-use dropperettes.

No preservative is listed.

Posts: 272 | Location: South Holland, IL | Registered: Sun January 09 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post