Find
Notify
Tools

Good eye drops to brighten your eyes
 Login/Join 
Registered
posted
Hello people,

Could somebody please name some good eyedrop brands to brighten the look in your eyes? My sclera is a bit yellowish, but when I swim in the sea it looks very bright and white, so it's possible to make my eyes bright, but just don't know what's the cause of this (saltwater??).

Maybe there is a good eyedrop around which will also brighten your eyes?

* (Just searching for something to make my sclera look whiter, not for the relief of pain or redness of the eye)

Thanks a lot

Posts: 12 | Registered: Tue July 15 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
I usually use Clorox Bleach, you know, the thick kind that stays in your eyes a little longer.

Seriously, tho, it sounds like you may have a little allergy action going on that is alleviated by salt water rinse. You already have the answer - get some sterile saline solution and wash out your eyes. Whether you've had RS or not, try to avoid using any drugs in your eyes unless you absolutely have to.

You can throw some kelp and sardines in the saline if you want to really make it like the ocean. Big Grin

Posts: 53 | Registered: Tue February 04 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Registered
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your reply.

Well the GP says I have a kind of allergy, that's for sure, but that causes redness of the eye. He gave me eyedrops for my eye redness, and they help for like 5 mins, no pain and the redness goes away a bit, but after that it turns back to normal.

But he never gave me a eyedrop to brighten the look (to whiten my sclera) in my eyes, he said it is just my genetics (indian).

Thanks again Smile

[This message was edited by Chedy on July 30, 2003 at 07:05 PM.]

Veteran
posted Hide Post
A friend was very yellow-ish: skin and sclera. After several blood tests showed no abnormality she asked me, "could it be because I eat a lot of carrots?" And she really does eat A LOT of carrots. Later the doctor confirmed the beta carotene in the carrots was causing the pigment change. So perhaps check to see if what you're eating could be causing the color.

Posts: 929 | Location: green river, wy, us | Registered: Wed November 29 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Registered
posted Hide Post
Well I don't eat much carots but I do drink often drinks which contain carot juice (5%), I actually don't think that's much, but I definately think eating can be a cause, but I am also concerned about my physical condition, although I am not weak, I feel very tired all day all the day. It just don't matter how long I sleep, I guess improving all of this will also improve the look in the eyes.

Is there actually a particular food which is very good and usefull for your eyes? What kind of nutrition is good for your eyes?

Thanks

Doctor Volunteer
Picture of Dr. Frank Holly
posted Hide Post
if I remember correctly. This means you could try (one or twice daily) Muro 128 (5%) sodium chloride solution (not the ointment!). Let me know how it works.

Dr. Holly

Posts: 687 | Location: Yantis, TX | Registered: Wed January 16 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
My OD told me that just as our eyes are our windows on the world, they're the world's windows to our health. Since I've started working out and watching what I eat, he's commented on how good things look when he peers into my eyeballs.

Russ

Posts: 66 | Location: Arlington, TX, USA | Registered: Sun July 15 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Registered
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there is another eyedrop like Muro 128, I can't buy this here in Holland. Maybe I should talk with my GP about this and see if he can arrange something

<Ken Minarik, OD>
posted
Since no actual "medicine" is involved, it is not beyond the realm of a pharmacist to make hypertonic eyedrops. If you have a local pharmacist who will listen, ask him to make you some hypertonic saline 5% (sterile) and see if he agrees. If it works well, you'll need to keep the solution refrigerated and tightly capped, throwing it away every 14 days or so.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
On me, the muro 128 burned like crazy at 2%. I can't imagine what the 5% would feel like.

If Chedey is getting clear eyes with salt water, why not use sterile saline or mix up a sterile saline solution with a specific gravity of 1.028-1.036 (sea water)?

Doctor Volunteer
posted Hide Post
is 3.5%. So it is halfway between 2% and 5% :-)
[Except for the Dead Sea which is 36% (saturated))].

Mostly sodium and chloride ions but there are sulfates as well (epsom salt?).

If 2% salt solution smarts a lot, one needs a good eye drops to compact and heal the epithelium so its semi-permeability is restored.

Dr. Holly

Posts: 687 | Location: Yantis, TX | Registered: Wed January 16 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Frank Holly:
is 3.5%. So it is halfway between 2% and 5% :-)
[Except for the Dead Sea which is 36% (saturated))].

Mostly sodium and chloride ions but there are sulfates as well (epsom salt?).

If 2% salt solution smarts a lot, one needs a good eye drops to compact and heal the epithelium so its semi-permeability is restored.

Dr. Holly

yes, muro 128 at 2% really burned my eyes. one od i went to said it appeared i had some mild/moderate ebmd. is that what causes the burning - cruddy epi? i often wonder if that is why i keep having visual fluctuations.

what drops "pack it down" and restore semi-permeability? thank you for your time!

Doctor Volunteer
posted Hide Post
What you apparently need is an eye drop with high colloid osmolality (aka high oncotic pressure) such as Dwelle, Dakrina, or FreshKote.

Make a search here and/or e-mail me for more info.

Dr. Holly

fjholly@silver.he.net

www.Dry-Eye-Institute.org

Registered
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chedy:
I am also concerned about my physical condition, although I am not weak, I feel very tired all day all the day. It just don't matter how long I sleep, I guess improving all of this will also improve the look in the eyes.

Have you been tested for hepatitis or other liver conditions?

Posts: 15 | Location: NYC | Registered: Thu July 24 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Registered
posted Hide Post
Thnx for all the info. I don't know if there is anything wrong with my liver, but I am certainly going to check it.

But, can't it be that the sclera tends to be more yellow for people from India (like I am), or people from Africa. I mean, has it something to do with the genetics, or is it just because a lot of people in Africa and India don't get the right nutrition and therefore their sclera tends to be more yellow..

Veteran
posted Hide Post
If your sclera has always been yellowish, and so has the sclera of other members of your family, then it's most likely a natural genetic tendency. If your eyes have suddenly taken on a yellowish tinge, that's a signal that something could be amiss and that you need a medical evaluation. You probably should have one anyway if you're experiencing fatigue Smile

You don't say what country you're from, but I've noticed here in the US that many persons of Indian descent have yellowish sclera. Just my personal observation.. it carries no scientific validity.

Posts: 101 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: Fri July 25 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Registered
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonnaDe:
You don't say what country you're from, but I've noticed here in the US that many persons of Indian descent have yellowish sclera. Just my personal observation.. it carries no scientific validity.

Well I already mentioned it above, I am indeed from India (I guess you don't mean the native indians in the US right?), and the scelera of my parents are also yellowish, but they are quite 'old' (50) while I am just 20, and I haven't had yellow sclera all the time it's just happening the last 2 or 3 years.. (and the last 2 or 3 years my physical condition was really bad, a couple of hours sleeping, even with my contacts, not enough sport, to many hours working behind a pc and stuff, tearing/red/dry eyes..)

Like I wondered above, maybe it has indeed has to do with the genetics, I hope it just because of my bad physical condition..

I just can't figure it out, because my younger sister has white sclera and all other indian people of my age also tend to have bright 'white' eyes..

Actually it's not that awfull to have a scelera that's a bit yellowish, but since I also have some redness in my eye and also something which looks like a scar in the sclera (don't know what it is, it's gray and it seems to expand when I look one way and it gets smaller when looking the other way..) it looks all together kinda scary..

But I thought I first find a cure for the yellow sclera thingy then I go on the the harder part Smile...

Veteran
posted Hide Post
Ooops, sorry, I know you're Indian but missed the part where you said you're living in Holland
Smile

Have you tried seeing an ophthalmologist? (And if you already said that, I'm going to have to quit reading these posts when it's time for bed!)

Improving your physical condition might not change the color of your sclera, but it certainly is something you should strive for Smile

Posts: 101 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: Fri July 25 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
Chedy: Have you had lasik?

Chris C.

Posts: 242 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Tue November 27 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Registered
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chris C:
Chedy: Have you had lasik?

Chris C.

Hey, nope no lasik.