Find
Notify
Tools

HydroEye
 Login/Join 
<Kirsten>
posted
http://sg.us.biz.yahoo.com/bw/001027/ca_science.html

Oct. 27, 2000 - HydroEye(TM), the first orally ingested formulation for the treatment of dry eye syndrome, received overwhelming response at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) in Dallas, Texas, this weekTwo double-blind cross-over clinical trials are currently underway todocument rapidly accumulating anecdotal evidence that this approach to dry eye syndrome could provide long-sought reliefOne of those clinical trials is being conducted under the supervision of Dr. Richard L. Lindstrom, clinical professor of ophthalmology at the University of Minnesota

According to Dr. Spencer Thornton, MD, ScienceBased Health chief medical advisor, HydroEye(TM) isablend of omega-6 fatty acids, mucin complex, and nutrient cofactors - a combination that helps prevent atrophy of the tear glands while supporting proper tear secretion by promoting the normal structure and function of the lacrimal glands, conjunctival goblet cells, and the mucin network. HydroEye(TM) also enhances the production of lactoferrin, a natural ocular antibiotic.

In response to consumer demand, the company began making its formulations available directly to consumers on its website, www.ScienceBasedHealth.com

ScienceBased Health is a physician-centric organization created to market research-based healthcare products via physician practices and the Internet. ScienceBased Health services a national network of over 1,000 prescribing physicians and more than 25,000 patients.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
Today, my Doctor recommended I try HydroEye for my dry eye condition. So I went online and ordered a bottle. (30 day supply of capsules $29.95)

I also did a search on SE for individual experiences with HydroEye, but found very little. So then, has anyone had any degree of success with this product?

Comments appreciated!

Posts: 1682 | Registered: Sat October 21 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exec. Director, VSRN
VisionMender™
Picture of Dr. DavOD Hartzok
posted Hide Post
The major ingredient in HydroEye is black currant seed oil.

Posts: 3030 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Mon April 24 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
OK...I got my first bottle of HydroEye today. 60 caps, 2 times a day.

5 months post op, still dry and stinging.

Here goes..

I'll keep you posted.

Veteran
posted Hide Post
Pizzo,
Please make sure that you email me about whether hydro eye works. I am suspicious that this is more a marketing ploy. I read an article that stated that this supplement is now going to be tested to see if it works. This hints to me that this supplement has not yet been tested, and its effects are theoretical.

So I am very interested in your experience.

Best of luck

Bill Trattler, MD
Miami, FL

Posts: 717 | Location: Miami, FL USA | Registered: Mon July 10 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
Pizzo,
This is a list of possible treatments above and beyond artificial tears. A patient asked me about other options following punctal occlusion of his lower ducts. He asked about topical androgen drop and autologous serum (a procedure where your own blood is spun down to isolate the red cells from the blood, and then used as drops.) This was my list:

There are a variety of treatments for dry eyes after LASIK that may be more effective than the experimental techniques you are inquiring about. Here is a list of possible treatments:
1. Genteal gel (or another lubricating gel): tends to last longer than theratears, but of course can sometimes blur vision
2. Upper punctal plugs. If your upper plugs are still open, closing them will retain your natural tears and theratears
3. Moisture chamber: sleeping with moisture chambers will help retain the moisture in your eyes at night time
4. Topical steroid eye drops. Since there is often an inflammatory component to dry eyes, steroid eye drops can be helpful
5. Cyclosporine eye drops: this very powerful anti-inflammaotry medication is also being looked into, but does have risks
6. Flax seed oil: herbal remedy that some dry eye patients reports can be helpful. It is important to watch one's cholesterol levels
7. Science-based health has a new supplement called hydroeyes which may be helpful. Currently 3 studies are underway to see if this will be of help
8. Saligen (? spelling). This medication is used for Sjogren's syndrome, and can increase one's secretions of tears. This medication does lead to increased production of saliva
9. There is a new medication called Evoxac (cevimeline) which is also used for dry mouth and dry eyes. This medication also has some side effects, so please talk with your doctor.

I hope this gives you some more ideas about ways to treat your dry eyes.

Best of luck

Bill Trattler, MD
Miami, FL

Posts: 717 | Location: Miami, FL USA | Registered: Mon July 10 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
Pizzo, I saw Hydro Eye stacked on the counter for sale when I saw the doc in Grand Rapids last month. I did not buy any.

Posts: 4989 | Registered: Thu February 10 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
I have used Hydro eye for two months. I have improved but I also had upper ducts plugged and started doxycycline during that same period so I don't know if they have helped or if it was the other things I did.

Cathy

Posts: 352 | Location: Cincinnati Ohio | Registered: Mon October 23 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Droopyeyelid621>
posted
I also read an article about "HydroEye" in Prevention magazine.
Maybe its worth a try.

Veteran
posted Hide Post
Do you guys realize how easy we are when it comes to spending $$ on possible cures for our dry eyes? I've thought of starting a thread on that. We sure are easy targets for all new stuff coming onto the market. Also, it's a known fact that we had enough money to have Lasik, or unlucky enough to have someone else pay for it. Geez, if I had been in the loop a couple of years back, I'd have gone into the business of dry eyes and not had Lasik. I would be rich, maybe, and have eyes that did not hurt.

I know that I have just tons of stuff I've bought and everyone else too. I'm waiting for a report on the Hydro Eye from those using it.

Posts: 4989 | Registered: Thu February 10 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Droopyeyelid621>
posted
It just shows how desparate some of us are in trying to find relief from our dry eyes.

Exec. Director, VSRN
VisionMender™
Picture of Dr. DavOD Hartzok
posted Hide Post
Hey...by the way. I've been making up some new eye drops in my home chemistry lab you might want to try.

Posts: 3030 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Mon April 24 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
UPDATE

Well, I started taking Hydroeye (2 caps a day as recommended) on 3/2/01. Since the full blown return of stinging eyes on 2/23/01, I started to feel relief today.(not perfect but better)

Can't say at this point if it the Hydroeye is helping me, or if this is just my normal up and down pattern of dry eye. Too soon to tell. The real test will be to see if my relief lasts.

I will keep posting results one way or the other.

[This message has been edited by pizzo (edited 03-15-2001).]

Veteran
Picture of mgershun
posted Hide Post
Keep posting on your experineces Pizzo. The ups and downs make it very hard to see what is helping, but we have to try. I ordered Hydro Eye online today and will start reporting when it arrives!

Martha

Posts: 1144 | Location: Mission Hills, KS | Registered: Fri May 26 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
Picture of mgershun
posted Hide Post
Dr. Trattler: Your list encompasses most of the remedies I've tried (with mixed successes) in my 15-month struggle with Lasik-induced dry eyes. Some items missing from your list:

1. Doxycycline and warm compresses - for those with blepharitis
2. Glasses - the physical barrier and relief from eye strain have made a big difference in my dry eyes

Any reason you left these off?

Martha Gershun

Posts: 1144 | Location: Mission Hills, KS | Registered: Fri May 26 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
Martha,
Thank you for those additions. I have performed research on the benefits of doxycycline in patients with Rosacea, so I am very familiar with this medication. Doxyccline alters the composition of the oils that are produced in the meibomina glands of the eye lids. So doxycycline is of help in patients who have problems with their oil components of their tears.
I have not used doxycyline for patients with Sjogren's syndrome, which is a condition where not enough aqueous tears are produced, and I do not know whether doxy would be appopriate in that situation.
For post-LASIK dry eyes, I notice that there is often a combination of both aqueous deficiency and oil gland problems - and in this type of situation doxy can be helpful.

Thank you for your comments, and I will make sure I mention both in the future

Bill Trattler, MD
Miami, FL

Veteran
posted Hide Post
MArtha,
have you tried Evoxac?

Bill Trattler, MD
Miami, FL

Veteran
posted Hide Post
Dr T
I recently heard something about Evoxac. Can you tell me/us more?

Veteran
posted Hide Post
Since this is Rosacea Awareness Month, it seems appropriate to mention the link between rosacea and dry eyes.

From the Spring, 2001 issue of Rosacea Review: "...as many as 50 percent of rosacea patients may also have ocular signs. Visually, an eye affected by rosacea often appears simply to be watery or bloodshot. Patients may feel a gritty or foreign body sensation in the eye, or have a dry, burning or stinging sensation. Inflammation of the eye or eyelid, called blepharitis, is also very common in rosacea, Dr. Webster said."

Also from Rosacea Review: "Rosacea usually first appears after age 30 as a redness on the cheeks, nose, forehead or chin that may come and go. Over time, the redness becomes ruddier and more persistent, and visible blood vessels may appear on the surface of the skin. Left untreated, bumps and pimples often develop, and in many rosacea sufferers the eyes also may be affected ..."

Posts: 215 | Registered: Sun September 03 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
What is Evoxac used for? Evoxac is used to treat dry mouth in people with Sjogrens Syndrome.
Who should not take Evoxac?

You should not take Evoxac if you have:

Uncontrolled asthma
Narrow-angle glaucoma or inflammation of the iris
Special Warnings for Evoxac:

If you have any of the following conditions, your health care provider will evaluate you to decide if Evoxac is right for you:

History of heart disease
Asthma
Chronic bronchitis
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Kidney problems
General Precautions with Evoxac:

Use caution when driving at night or performing other hazardous activities in reduced lighting because Evoxac can cause blurred vision and changes in depth perception.
If you sweat excessively while taking Evoxac drink extra water and tell your health care provider.
What should I tell my doctor or health care provider?

Because certain medications may interact with Evoxac, review ALL medications that you take with your health care provider, including those that you take without a prescription.
Tell your health care provider if you are trying to become pregnant, are already pregnant, or are breast-feeding
What are some possible side effects of Evoxac? (This is NOT a complete list of side effects reported with Evoxac. Your health care provider can discuss with you a more complete list of side effects.)

Excessive sweating
Nausea
Runny nose
Diarrhea
More frequent urination
For more detailed information about Evoxac, ask your health care provider.

another link with more details on this medication (you do have to register for medscape, but the graphs on how this medication works are worth it: http://www.medscape.com/Medscape/rheumatology/TreatmentUpdate/2000/tu01/tu01-09.html

[This message has been edited by wtrattler (edited 03-18-2001).]