New
Find
Notify
Tools

MRI after LASIK
 Login/Join 
Registered
posted
Before having an MRI, one of the questions you must answer is, "Have you ever gotten metal in your eyes"?

It's my understanding that all LASIK patients have tiny metal flakes from the microkeratome blade under the flap.

What is the risk of having an MRI with metal debris in your corneas?

Posts: 45 | Registered: Sun September 22 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
Since I had LASIK, I have been through 2 MRIs and - knee & shoulder - and had no problems.

Posts: 580 | Location: farmington hills, mi USA | Registered: Wed April 18 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Registered
posted Hide Post
I had an extensive MRI done on my head a few months ago. The imaging center asked me if I reason to believe that I had metal fragments in either of my eyes.

I had an eye injury about 15 years ago where my cornea was scratched by a metal chip from using a cut-off wheel. It was a small chip, and I was sure they had got it all out. I mentioned this to the technician and they elected to do a C/T scan of my eye orbits. They found nothing and proceeded with the MRI.

The C/T scan does not use a magnetic field. The MRI does. If you have any ferrous (iron, steel)metalic items in any part of your body, the magnetic field will pull those pieces clean out. This would be bad (obviously).

I am not a doctor, but I suspect that the blades are stainless steel, which are not ferrous and therefore not affected by the magnetic field. Also, I wonder really if any blade fragments are commonly left in an RS patient's eyes. Docs, please feel free to comment.

If you have any concerns, discuss this with your imaging technician before proceeding with the MRI.

Posts: 15 | Location: Brookfield, WI - USA | Registered: Thu July 24 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Registered
posted Hide Post
Does hansatome use magnetic blades?

Posts: 40 | Registered: Wed July 09 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
Not sure about all blades. Here is what one manufacturer says about their blades:

Surgin manufactures its Prizm blades from a proprietary 420-modified surgical stainless steel and uses a special honing process to produce a precise, defect-free cutting edge.

420 stainless is martensitic, and so is magnetic.

So far as I know, only austenitic stainless steel is non-magnetic.

Posts: 580 | Location: farmington hills, mi USA | Registered: Wed April 18 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post